How to

Also, check out our
There are a lot of things that need to be organized to have a successful study and homestay experience in Canada, so the earlier you get started, the better. 

From the Canadian side, there are three applications you will need to work on:
    1) Student visa with Citizenship and Immigration Canada
    2) International student status with Hamilton Wentworth District School Board
    3) Custodianship and homestay services with My Canadian Family

This page will help you understand how things generally happen with my Canadian Family.

Application/registration (pleased to meet you)
  1. Contact us using any methods found in the Contact Us page
  2. We send you the required application forms. 
  3. You complete all the required documents.
  4. We find the host family which best matches your requirements and send you their general information and our Student Participation Agreement (SPA). 
  5. You review the SPA and the information about the host family. If you agree to the SPA and think that that the host family is a good match, then sign and send us a copy of the SPA and wire the Participation Fees.
  6. We send your application information to the host family you have selected. Once they approve, they will reserve your spot and prepare for your arrival.
Exchanging details
  1. We send you a) signed custodianship papers, and b) a document stating that financial arrangements have been made for your stay in Canada. We cannot send these before the Participation Fees have been paid and the SPA has been signed.
  2. You send us details about the flight you are taking.
Arrival (welcome to Canada)
  1. We will send someone to pick you up from the airport and bring you to the homestay family. Take a few minutes to stretch you legs after you get off the plane, because the drive will be around 45 minutes (if the traffic is good).
  2. We will meet you at the homestay family's home to say hello and make sure you've got everything you need.